Thursday, February 18, 2010

Can I paint over an eggshell finish, or do I need to use Kilz first?

I've painted over the eggshell finish without using Kilz and it was fine. You definitely would need to use Kilz if you are going from spongepaint to a solid color, otherwise the texture will show.Can I paint over an eggshell finish, or do I need to use Kilz first?
yes, you can paint over an eggshell finish. I personally prefer to sand rather than apply primer, assuming that I'm sure that the last couple of coats of paint are not lead based. It's quicker, faster, and cheaper. All you need to do when you sand over a glossy finish is basically wipe over the finish enough to reduce the gloss which improves the bond. usually simply wiping over the surface as if wiping dust off is enough.Can I paint over an eggshell finish, or do I need to use Kilz first?
eggshell is pretty much the color of primer. If the eggshell is a gloss or a semi gloss I would suggest you use a product called Liquid Sandpaper. It a little smelly but whatt it does is take off the glossyness


of the finish so the next paint can really hold on.


You just put it on a rag and wipe the paint down. Quick and fast.
Before you sand the surface, it is a good idea to wipe the surfac down with a mild solution of TSP (you can get that at a paint store) or liquid sandpaper. Their of these will remove any oil or wax that might be on the surface.
Please answer my question on what color to paint my walls


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;鈥?/a>
It is not necessaryto use an insulator paint (Kitz) Go ahead and paint normally.
Just paint! No primer needed! Make sure the surface is clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment