Thursday, February 11, 2010

Water based Kilz and White paint turning yellow!?

We just built brand new framing and window sills from pine. I first painted the pine with a water based white Kilz primer and then painted the top coat with a Glidden Semi Gloss White....it's already discoloring, it's only been a year!!





We are renovating the whole house and I want to find a solution ASAP before we continue with other windows and trim!





Should I get a higher quality paint? HELP!!!Water based Kilz and White paint turning yellow!?
I am in the UK, but I kind of know what Kilz is. It is not something I would have put on wood. New bare wood really needs a thinned oil-based primer, but I am not sure if your laws allow that where you are. Some places only allow water-based paints I believe.





As you have primed there is no point in applying primer to painted wood. If you can only use water-based paints see if you can get hold of Sikkens water-based undercoat and satin finishes. I forget what they are called, but the oil-based versions are Onol and Rubbol.

No comments:

Post a Comment