Thursday, February 11, 2010

If I want to paint over wooden paneling and I use kilz paint. Do I have to put a coat of Kilz on the wall firs

Do I just use the Kilz paint or the kilz primer and then the Paint?If I want to paint over wooden paneling and I use kilz paint. Do I have to put a coat of Kilz on the wall firs
Definitely go with a coat of primer first, most wood paneling has some type of sealer on it and without the primer your paint might chip.





Clean the paneling real well then apply the primer and paint. I did my moms with one coat primer two coats paint. Looks fantastic and it really brightened up a dark dreary basement.If I want to paint over wooden paneling and I use kilz paint. Do I have to put a coat of Kilz on the wall firs
Always prime first then paint
You could go either way. I would think for the best results clean the walls well first, then apply the primer and let it dry for a day and then use the paint. Should look nice and last.
Prime, then paint. You might have to wash the wall first to get rid of any oil that might have been


used in cleaning paneling.
It depends on which room this is in. If it is the bathroom or basement I would use Kilz primer first and then the paint. This is because of the moisture that these rooms have. If it is a bedroom or living room you could go either way. Also if the paneling has the lines in it and you don't want them to show. You can buy heavy white wallpaper that can be painted. Then you will have more of a sheetrock look to the walls instead of painted paneling look. The white wallpaper comes in different textures and designs.
Prime first with an oil based primer/sealer like Kilz, I personally like ';Cover Stain'; made by Zinsser but the most important thing is make sure it's an oil based primer or the tannin's or nicotine will bleed through your water based paint film and the last step would be a water based paint preferably a eggshell finish, Don't use flat paint you'll regret it. Good luck Les the painter

No comments:

Post a Comment